What Is Wisdom & How Relevant Is It In Our Daily Lives?
What Is Wisdom & How Relevant Is It In Our Daily Lives?
Wisdom is so relevant in life. If you have God’s wisdom, you will also have His favor too. You can be destroyed and profoundly messed up without it. Wisdom is not accumulation of wealth; or intellectual acumen; or scientific ingenuity. All of these do not give wisdom. In reality, most renounced persons with these attributes in the world have caused wars, fallen morally or politically, lost all their material possessions; and some mentally deranged because of lack of wisdom and foolishness.
Saul, the first king of Israel was endowed with greatness; selected from a humble origin in the Scriptures. God lifted him up and gave him everything. But his disobedience to God’s will destroyed him. At the end of his life, he said:
“I have erred exceedingly; I have played the fool.”
In Macbeth, written by Shakespeare, we see a great general Macbeth, a cousin to king Duncan of Scotland. His visit to his cousin results in a conspiracy by Macbeth and his wife Lady Macbeth to kill king Duncan, so they can sit on the throne of Scotland. Immediately the deed was done, Macbeth said:
“Macbeth hath murdered sleep.”
Ironically, from that day on, he couldn’t sleep anymore. Both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth crumbled like a beautiful home demolished by fire. Through tragic and series of events, they were finally destroyed by their evil plot to kill an innocent relation and their evil practices. At the end of his life, Macbeth summed it up like this:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and furry
A man so full of great promise collapsed and faded away because of lack of wisdom. We have heard of so many who climbed the ladder of success, but only to disintegrate at the height of their success because of lack of wisdom. We see these stories in our families and individuals: we too have made decisions that changed our lives for the worst, and we still make those foolish decisions that complicate our lives because of lack of wisdom.
So riches or accumulation of wealth, fame or political or scientific ingenuity do not produce wisdom. Look at those who have so much money in our societies: corporations with cash; what are they doing with it? If they are wise, they will use the money or invest it in creating jobs, and help millions of Americans struggling to put food on the table for their families. Some are using millions of dollars only to defeat their political opponents: instead of both political parties to come together in a bipartisan and compromised way to help create jobs for Americans. That is wisdom that God approves. That is His will and the way of blessing and favor. That is what stands in life, and before God what you did for others. The money is lying there for nothing; and the Job Act is lying there for nothing and everybody is making noise about jobs.
It is lack of wisdom and understanding, waiting for your party to win before jobs can be created: when you can pass the Job Act and flood the jobs all over the place. What if your party does not win? Then America will go down in history. This is a solution that can be solved in a twinkle of an eye, but lack of wisdom keeps millions of Americans from enjoying their blessings. This is so offensive to God who is watching us. The one who does not do the will of God eventually falls. When you have in your power to do good and refuses to do it, it is sin. Sin has great consequences.
1 What Does Wisdom Mean?
The word wisdom is Sophia: Greek word that has its reference to God.
Phronesis: understanding and prudence – with the mind -wisdom.
The Hebrew word shakam is wise, skillful and practical.
Wisdom is completely an attribute from God. God is wisdom.
The Hebrew word chokmah also describes wisdom as: experience and shrewdness:
It is also the ability to make the right choices at the opportuned time.
The Scriptures says:
“The fear of God is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7 You see knowledge is used here instead of wisdom. The knowledge of God opens our mind to understand wisdom. The Scripture also says:
The fear of the Lord is to hate evil, pride, arrogance and the evil way and the forward mouth.” Proverbs 8:11
2 How Can I Have Wisdom In My Life?
• The knowledge of the Lord gives wisdom. You must seek to know the Lord and fear Him. What does it mean to fear God? It means to stay away from any evil actions or habits that you do that do not please God. you say: “I have tried, but I can’t.” That is why Jesus died for you to help you stop the struggle to overcome sin; the struggle to be righteous; the struggle to please God. Believe me, it is a struggle you can’t win. These are few steps you can take now and the struggle will be over:
• Believe you are a sinner
• Confess your sins
• Believe that Jesus died for your sin
• Confess with your mouth what Jesus did for you on the cross
• You will be saved
• You will receive the Holy Spirit
• You will be baptized
Without obedience to God’s commandments and will, you can’t possess divine wisdom. It comes from the knowledge of God, and initiates you into a life of righteousness, instead of a life of sin, arrogance and selfwill. Until you accept what Jesus did for you on the cross; took your weakness and destroyed sin on the cross, and gave you a new power to overcome sin. You don’t have to struggle anymore, if you believe this by faith; His blood blots your sins away immediately. That is the simple story of the cross and the gospel. When you accept Him as Savior, the Holy Spirit enables you to obey the Lord and keep His commandments. It is only by His grace and mercy we can overcome sin in our lives
• Wisdom has to do with the heart that obeys the Lord. The Holy Spirit comes to the heart that obeys Him. The Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit is God living in the believer directing him or her in his daily life. Without the Holy Spirit, we don’t belong to Jesus Christ. Romans 8:9 The Holy Spirit is the one who produces the spirit of wisdom in us.
• The Holy Spirit lives in those who love and obey Him. He gives the discernment of spirit. You can discern from the prompting of the Holy Spirit the right action and the right way to proceed making right choices. The Holy Spirit convicts of sin; the Holy Spirit teaches the believer what they should know about the Lord and His word; the Holy Spirit helps us to remember things we know about the Lord; the Holy Spirit shows believers things that will happen in the future before they happen-that is why some believers have the spirit of discernment and prophesy. It comes from God’s wisdom and knowledge through the Holy Spirit.
• Arrogance is the antithesis of wisdom. Arrogance is that complex human nature in us that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, instead of humility to bow to the will of God; and understand through wisdom the right thing to do, and right choices to make. Arrogance has destroyed many nations through greed, sin and wars by leaders who lacked wisdom, or individuals who don’t have wisdom. For example, we can attest to the fact that some decisions we have made in our lives messed us up because of lack of wisdom and foolishness.
• Wisdom is the way of experience. You learn from your experience as you failed and made wrong decisions and choices. Sometimes, those experiences can be painful and cause deep suffering; and we learn not to go that way again. We learn to submit to God’s humble ways because we have been humbled and humiliated by our failures through our experiences. Failure can harden your heart, but shouldn’t be that way. It is a wrong approach to life. We learn from our experiences.
• The Scripture says: “Wisdom is better than rubies, and all the things that may be desired are not compared to it.” Proverbs 8:11 God says wisdom is richer than accumulation of money; richer and all the material pursuits of life that enslave our lives until we die. Many have reached the pinnacle of fame only to tumble down because of lack of wisdom. Actually, what God is saying here is:
1 The knowledge of God supersedes all achievements in life. Knowing the Lord guarantees salvation-the greatest event in human life. There is no ingenuity of man that can manufacture salvation. “My peace I give unto you” The most powerful commodity the world is seeking with tears, but it comes with salvation. It doesn’t mater the trial that besets you in life, you maintain your peace as a child of God: joy, faith and hope- this is miraculous. It comes only from God’s wisdom. No material attainment gives peace. It gives temporary happiness. True joy and peace belong to those who love and obey the Lord.
2 The knowledge of God also helps you enjoy your labors in life by making the right choices and decisions, and this is wisdom. When I was at Prairie Bible Institute, Three Hills, Alberta, Canada; there was a required book for every new student to read: “The Disciplined Life, by Richard Taylor. In this book was a powerful doctor, well renounced and with great legacy. First he began to drink; they took his license and he finally came down and faded off. I never forgot that story because it made a great impression on my heart. Even in our own lives; lives of those around us and stories we have heard; we have all sometimes made decisions that ruined and brought us down. We had to begin all over again. These things are caused by lack of wisdom.
Oswald Sanders, author of “Spiritual Leadership says this on wisdom:
“If knowledge is the accumulation of facts; and intelligence the development of reason; wisdom is heavenly discernment. It is insight into the heart of things. Wisdom involves knowing God, and the subtleties of the human heart. More than knowledge, it is the right application of knowledge in moral and spiritual matters in handling dilemmas, in negotiating complex relationships. “Wisdom is nine tenth’s a matter of being wise in time,” said Theodore Roosevelt.” Most of us are “too often wise after the event.”
• God admonishes us to seek wisdom more than anything else: God who made us warns nothing can be compared to wisdom that human seeks. We should desire wisdom more than any material object like money-rubies or any other material object that seeks to lure us from wholly yielding our lives to God. We may become materially satisfied, but may lack the wisdom that keeps our material opulence; and will finally destroy us. At that point, we shall be deprived of wisdom- the knowledge of God that guarantees salvation and live with Jesus forever when it is all over in this world: and the ability to enjoy your riches even in this world because of lack of wisdom. What can surpass salvation? Job said: “Naked we came, and naked we shall return.” But when you return, where do you go?
• Wisdom has a lot to do with discipline. Richard Taylor, author of “The Disciplined Life said: “The world belongs to the disciplined.” Taylor means only those disciplined can rise to their dreams and fulfill their destiny in life. The choices that God demands from us require a lot of discipline. The choices of obedience to His commandments; praying all the time; reading your Bible so your heavenly father will speak to you; sharing your faith with those who do not know the Lord so they too will enjoy the riches of God’s grace: salvation, peace, joy, love, etc., in their lives. The ability to do these things demand a lot of discipline.
• Wisdom is to listen to God’s instruction. This gives you favor with God, the Holy Spirit and the anointing. It is not what we do for the Lord, but listening and obedience to the Lord are the key to His heart and favor. That is how we obtain wisdom. The Scripture says: “Obedience is better than sacrifice.”
Lastly, the Scripture said: "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from trouble." Pro. 10:19: "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: Pro. 18:21 "The tongue of the wise brings healing." 21:23 How profound these statements are. I wonder if there is any one of us who has not made horrible and deadly mistakes in what they said: even sometimes destroyed their ability to succeed. James the Apostle was very wise, went further with the tongue problem and said: "If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body." James continues and asks: "Who is a wise man and endured with power among you? Let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. The way we speak exposes how humble or arrogant we are. If we are arrogant and thoughtless, not humility born out of obedience to God's will, no matter how rich or educated or poor we are, we mess our lives up with lack of wisdom. Wisdom is given to those who fear the Lord, obeys Him and stay away from evil.
Wisdom is everything in life. I pray that our political and spiritual leaders will possess the spirit of wisdom to guide us in this uncertain and turbulent times in America and the world. We are on the brink of world war with what is happening in the Middle East unless God intervenes; our financial struggles will continue until we seek wisdom from God; seek peace with each other; come together Republicans and Democrats in a bipartisan and compromised way; and seek to help and create jobs for the American people. That is simply what wisdom means. It is not political rhetoric of lies and deceit. It is that leader who has the wisdom and God’s discernment to help the nation, regardless of political interests. It is that leader who has God’s compassion to see the needs of his or her neighbor regardless of race or color; it is that leader who knows the truth and seeks to implement such policies that can move America forward; bring them together and perpetuate the American dream for others. This is wisdom; and it takes the knowledge of God and eradication of greed and selfishness in the human heart. This is the only thing that glorifies the Lord. We can do it by the grace of God.
Amarachi Film Production & Publishing
Amarachi Ruth show: Riches of God's Grace/ Thursdays 5 pm/cctvcambridge.org