CCTV is requesting your programming about the current coronavirus pandemic and its effect on your life. Submit here!
Our Internship Program
Our Internship Program
Interested in interning with CCTV? We rely on volunteers to help in a variety of capacities. Read below for internship program details.
CCTV relies on volunteers to keep our organization running smoothly. Interns provide CCTV with valuable work hours every week in many difference capacities, and in exchange our interns get experience and training in everything that makes a television station tick. Possible unpaid intern positions include live cablecasting, media production, computer lab supervision, training and education, and many administrative responsibilities.
All interns work 3-10 hours per week and receive an Access Membership, regardless of residency. There are many departments to intern in. CCTV relies on volunteers who agree to provide regular assistance to staff in some area of operations. Anyone, regardless of their age or place of residence, may apply to become a CCTV intern. Please note, not all kinds of internships are available at all times, as openings depend on CCTV's needs at the moment. However, even if the kind of internship you are interested in is not immediately available, we will keep your application on file should there be an opening.
CCTV interns receive the following benefits...
- Free Access Membership for the duration of their internship
- Ability to take any and all CCTV courses for free
- Free use of CCTV’s Studio, Field, and Editing Facilities to produce cable TV programs (limited to one production at a time).
- All other membership privileges, including ability to have produce a BeLive or Radio program, free access to computerCENTRAL, and ability to rent video equipment at preferred member rates.
CCTV interns are expected to...
- Attend a CCTV Orientation
- Make a four-month commitment, unless otherwise arranged
- Work an average of 3-5 hours per week (depending on internship)
- Perform all duties as outlined in internship agreement, including attending trainings, intern socials, and supervision meetings as requested
CCTV offers a variety of internship types, including...
Cablecast: One night per week, 4:15-9:15pm. Monitoring and programming diverse weekly live programming on CCTV's three channels. Training provided, but requires basic technical aptitude, attention to detail, and ability to get along with all types of people.
Production: Flexible hours working with CCTV’s Production Coordinator on the planning, recording, transferring, and editing of CCTV’s productions. Requires prior video production experience and skills.
computerCENTRAL: One 3-hour shift per week in CCTV's Mac computer lab, supervising activities, with an emphasis on assisting those new to computers. Requires excellent people skills. Some experience with Final Cut Pro X, Photoshop, and other media software helpful.
Computers 50+: One to two 2-hour shifts per week in CCTV's Mac computer lab, supervising and providing one-on-one assistance with tech devices, assisting adults over 50 years old. Requires excellent people skills. Potential for teaching short lessons.
News Writing: Flexible hours researching and creating a variety of multimedia stories (video, audio, text) focused on Cambridge issues. Work alone or on a team to create content.
News Production: Flexible hours teaming up with news interns and staff to produce hyperlocal news content.