The vertical accent of the obelisk clearly marks the center of the great public urban space of the Place de la Concorde in Paris. This important urban space is visually and functionally connected (by the LINKAGE principle) to the "Key Mouuments" of Paris. Specifically, the linkages are to:
1. The building face of SITE MARIE MADELINE looking south on the axis of RUE ROYALE.
2. The building face of ASSEMBLEE NATIONALE looking north on the axis on RUE CONCORDE
3. The edge of JARDIN DES TUILERIES looking west on the central axis of TUILERIES, extending throught the main LOUVRE entrance and the COUR CARREE.
4. The building face of the ETOILE (ARC de TRIOMPHE) looking east on the axis of DES CHAMPS ELSEES
In addition, the folowing principles are present:
PLACE: created well definded edges and with a strong center, clearly marked by the obelisk (
FIGURE GROUND: This void is well defined. At the same time, the distinct variety of the defining edeges:
1. The north edge: stone building facades of the LE CRILLON and the HOTEL de la MARINE
2. The south edge: the river bank and waters of the SEINE
3. The west edge: the SCULPTURE PLACES and SITTING WALLS
4. The east edge: the building facades of MESSE DE L'ORANGEERE and JEU DE PAUME and The ENTRY COUT to the TULERIES
(see prior post on design precedents and the Place de la Concode)